• The Foundation

    Oskar Reinhart established the Oskar Reinhart Foundation on 10 October 1940. It was created “from the wish and will [...] for the Collection to remain permanently in his hometown of Winterthur whenever possible.” (The Preamble in the Deed of Foundation). Initially the Foundation simply contained “paintings by Swiss, German, Austrian and other masters, mainly from the 19th century, with the exclusion of French masters” (§ 3 of the Deed of Foundation). Until Reinhart's death, he added further paintings and sculptures, while drawings, watercolours and prints were bequethed to the foundation in 1965.

    Neue Stiftungsurkunde